Amuch loved dish from Tamilnadu, a staple for summer lunches, served with any vegetable Raita!
- Raw mangos: 2 large
- Basmati rice: ½ cup
- Turmeric: ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- 1tbspchana dal ( yellow split peas)
- 1tbsp white urad dal (dehusked and split black gram)
- 1 tbsp white til ( sesame seeds)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp chana dal
- ¼ tsp white urad dal
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts chopped fine
- 2 tbsp peanuts roasted
- fresh curry leaves 2-3 stalks
- 1tbsp sesame oil
To Make The Masala Powder:
- Heat the oil in a wok and first add the asafoetida powder
- When it starts sizzling, add the chana dal, stir for a few seconds, then add the rest of the ingredients. Keep stirring on a gentle flame to prevent burning.
- Transfer to a plate, let it cool.
- Grind into a coarse powder and keep aside.
To Make The Mango Rice:
Cook the rice with just enough water, into long grains. Do not overcook. Keep aside to cool.
- Peel and grate the mangos. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a wok, add the asafoetida and when it sizzles, add the curry leaves followed by the rest of the ingredients. Keep the flame low.
- Add the grated mangos, the salt and turmeric and stir well and let cook on a slow flame for about 5-7 minutes.