A simple dish made so famous at the Marina Beach at Chennai that it is now iconic – ‘MangaiTengaiPattaniChundal‘ yell the scores of vendors at the beach! They sell it in newspaper cones.
- Chick peas : 1 cup
- Raw mango : 1
- Coconut grated: 1tbsp
- Lemon: 1
- Turmeric powder : ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds : ¼ tsp
- White urad dal : ¼ tsp
- Chana dal : ¼ tsp
- Asafetida powder : ¼ tsp
- Dried red chilli: 1
- Green chilli: 1
- Fresh curry leaves: 2-3 stalks
- Soak the chickpeas for 4-5 hours in warm water and cook till they are soft and separate. Do not overcook. Keep aside.
- Peel and grate the mango and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the asafoetida. When it sizzles, add rest of the ingredients for tempering. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Keep a gentle flame
- Stir for a couple of seconds and add the cooked chickpeas. Add the salt and turmeric and stir well.
- Transfer to plate and add the grated mango and grated coconut. Squeeze the lemon and serve.