A much adored staple in my house!
- Ripe mangoes: 2 medium size
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Besan ( gram flour): I cup
- Pure ghee: ½ cup melted
- Nuts: Cashewnuts, pistachios and almonds all finely chopped together to make ¼ cup.
- Powdered cardamom: ¼ tsp
- A flat steel plate greased with ghee
- Peel and chop the mangoes into large pieces and make a puree. You should get about 1 ½ cups. Keep aside.
- In a wok, dry roast the besan on a gentle flame stirring constantly. It will soon give out a roasted fragrance. Transfer onto a plate and keep aside.
Note: The taste of the Barfi depends on the roasting of the Besan. So take the time to roast it well. Do not let it burn.
- In a wok add 1 tbsp of ghee, add the mango puree and sugar and cook for a few minutes on a gentle flame. Keep stirring.
- Once the puree starts thickening, add 2 tbsp ghee, then start adding the roasted besanvery slowly, stirring all the while. Make sure the besan does not form lumps.
- At regular intervals add the ghee till it is all in the mixture.
- Soon the mixture will start leaving the sides of the pan. At this stage, add half chopped nuts and the cardamom.
- Give a final stir and transfer the mixture onto the greased plate and spread. Sprinkle the rest of the nuts on top and press down very gently.
- Make cuts in the mixture of the desired size of Barfi.
- Leave aside for 2-3 hours to set.