This one is known as Chhundo in Gujarat. I used to eat it in spoonfuls, like a jam when I was little and my body allowed such excesses!!
- Raw mango: 2 medium ( they should be completely raw and firm, not turning yellow)
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder: ¼ tsp( or according to taste)
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Peel and grate the mangos, add salt and turmeric and keep aside for ½ an hour.
- Roast the cumin seeds lightly, and powder coarsely. Cover and keep aside.
- Squeeze out the liquid from the grated mangos. Cast aside the liquid. The grated mangos should be roughly 1 cup.
- In a wok, add the sugar and just enough water to soak the sugar. Keep stirring on a gentle flame till the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts boiling.
- Add the grated mango and cook on a gentle flame stirring continuously.
- When the chutney reaches a jam like consistency, take down from the flame, add the red chilli powder and the roasted cumin.
- Transfer into a glass jar and let cool.