This dish always reminds me of somnolent summer afternoons spent on the family large swing at my grandmother’s house in Gujarat! I think she invented this recipe!!
- Mangoes: 3 medium sized
- Milk: 2 liters, preferably full cream.
- Sugar: ¾ cup ( or according to taste)
- Nuts: almonds, pistachios, cashews mixed and chopped fine: ¼ cup
- Pure ghee: 2 tbsp
- Peel and chop 2 mangoes into large pieces and make a puree. Keep aside.
- Peel and chop the third mango into small pieces and keep aside
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan on gentle flame till it thickens. Keep stirring constantly. Don’t let it boil over or burn.
- When the milk is about half the original quantity, add sugar and stir again till the sugar is dissolved. Continue on a gentle flame till the milk thickens further. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Add 1tbsp of ghee to a wok, let it heat and add the mango puree. Stir fry on a gentle flame till the puree starts thickening.
- Transfer the puree to the thickened milk stir gently and cook again for 2-3 minutes. Keep aside and let it cool. Add the finely chopped mangoes.